5 Forklift Types & Their Uses
There are many forklifts on the market today that can help to improve the productivity and efficiency of your warehouse, no matter what sector you work in. With different sizes and capabilities available, it can be difficult to pinpoint the right machine that’ll perfectly suit your business operations. That’s why Refurbished Forklifts are on hand to help you pick from some of the most popular material handling equipment in the industry. No matter what it is you need, we’ll have a solution for you. Take your pick from a number of options, including:
Articulated forklifts are a relatively small alternative to a more conventional forklift, making them ideal for use in small, confined spaces. Articulated forklifts are fast becoming an incredibly popular choice for warehouse owners, helping to move inventory around your premises as efficiently as possible.
Benefits of an articulated forklift
- Perfect for use in warehouses with limited space
- Mast can articulate into either side of your warehouse racking
- Can achieve a mast height of up to 12.1 metres
- Can increase warehouse space and storage by up to 30%
- Able to handle loads more efficiently than traditional forklifts
- Increased productivity and efficiency through the use of an articulated forklift mitigates the costs associated with damaged goods
- Great for use either indoors or outdoors, depending on your operations
Much like articulated forklifts, reach trucks are often used in small warehouses, where space is somewhat limited. Reach trucks, as the name suggests, are able to reach shelves and racking that are considerably high off the ground, enabling you to make full use of your warehouse capacity.
Floor-to-ceiling storage can be just as effective as using the width and length of your warehouse to store inventory, especially when you invest in the right equipment to help move goods around – like a reach truck.
Benefits of a reach truck
- Compact body, allowing for easy maneuverability and navigation, even in tight spaces
- Can reach goods that are stored on tall shelves or racking, up to 36ft
- Can lift a weight of up to 4500lbs
- Great for use either indoors or outdoors, but they’re most commonly used indoors where surfaces are flatter
Also known as pump trucks or pallet jacks, pallet trucks are specifically designed to lift and transport pallets, as the name would suggest. Unlike its more technologically advanced counterpart, a pallet truck doesn’t require any fuel to operate, making it a popular, cost-effective option for many warehouse owners.
The tapered fork allows for loads to be lifted and transported effectively, with the pump handle being a simple, basic way to raise and lower stock. They’re commonly used in stockrooms as well as warehouses, making them perfect for use across a wide range of sectors.
Benefits of pallet trucks
- Initial costs are cheaper, a pallet truck can be just as effective as a powered forklift
- They don’t require fuel to run, meaning you’ll be saving money on powering the equipment
- Without the complicated machinery that often comes with powered forklifts, money can also be saved when it comes to maintenance costs
- Increases productivity and efficiency in the warehouse, as loads of varying weights can be transported (up to 1000kg), meaning various loads can be lifted at once. Therefore, only one worker will be needed to lift inventory as opposed to a number of them
- They can protect your workers from harm, mitigating the need for heavy lifting
- You don’t need a forklift license to operate a pallet truck, but workers should still be trained to a high standard before using one
- Smaller than a forklift, thus allowing for easy maneuverability and navigation around small spaces
Environmentally-friendly as pallet trucks don’t run on fuel
- Available in a range of designs, sizes and models to help suit the needs of your business
Stackers, also known as walkie stackers, typically combines the features of a pallet truck and a reach truck. It has the jack handle of a pallet truck with the reaching and lifting capabilities of a reach truck, just without the extensive reach height.
They’ve been likened more to a lift truck or a conventional forklift truck as stackers are still able to lift, transport and put down inventory. The operator would have the choice of whether to sit or stand while using a stacker. The mast of a stacker is more like the mast of a counterbalanced lift truck.
Benefits of warehouse stackers
- Don’t need a forklift license to operate a stacker, although the correct training should be given before using a stacker
- They’re eco-friendly as they don’t need fuel to run, which also makes them perfect for indoor use
- Stackers are cost-effective as the initial costs are cheaper and you won’t have to spend money on fuel
- Noise levels are low, making them ideal for use if you neighbour other warehouses or a residential area
- Easy to manoeuvre in small or tight spaces
- Due to its small size, visibility is high
An order picker is a machine, although it could also refer to a warehouse employee, that allows for stock to be picked up and delivered to its destination efficiently. It’s an electric lift truck designed specifically for picking up customer orders which require case picking as opposed to entire pallets or extensive amounts of inventory.
Most order pickers can reach past the second level of warehouse racking, with a maximum height of around 9.9 metres, depending on the model. They operate much like a pallet truck, although a worker will be able to stand safely on an order picker to manually lift items from the shelves.
Benefits of order pickers
- It reduces travel times, therefore increasing efficiency and productivity
- Little room for human error when picking orders from the shelves
- Inventory can be transported in a timely manner, ensuring customers receive goods in a decent amount of time
- It’s cost-effective, fewer workers will be needed to pick orders from the racking
- Perfect for indoor use, although it can also be used outside if the situation calls for it
Refurbished Forklifts are dedicated to providing high-quality, used forklifts, pallet trucks, reach trucks, stackers, order pickers and more. With a wide range of makes and models to choose from, you’ll always be able to count on the specialists here at Refurbished Forklifts to provide you with the best solution to effortlessly meet both your budget and warehouse requirements.
For more information about how we can help you, get in touch with us today – we’re always happy to talk you through your options and impart expert advice.